Delirium Review

Delirium by LAUREN OLIVER

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

(DESCRIPTION FROM GOODREADS)

4.5 Stars


This book gave me such a high after I turned the last pages. I LOVE books like that, books that make you feel something once you set it down. As the description reads, Lena lives in a world where love is a disease and the government has found a cure to rid the mind of all emotions, love, hatred, fear, pain, nothing.

What I love about this book is that it builds. Lena's background and idea's build. Her friendship with Hana builds and her relationship with Alex builds. Oliver slowly introduces her characters which I love. It seems like nowadays authors will give a character a name and expect the readers to love him or her from the getgo. Not Oliver. She lets the love blossom and then she makes it something extraordinary with the very last page.

Oliver also makes you think with this novel. I thought a million times throughout my read how often I use and experience the word love. The idea that is so forbidden in her world made me fall deeper and deeper into the book.

What I also love is that Ms. Oliver has made this world completely hers down to the very last detail. She tweaks religion and adds nursery rhymes to make this world seem real. Which I think is just beautiful.

The only negative piece I would have to say is that she does get a bit wordy in her descriptions. I'm happy that she took the time to creatively explain how the sea salt clung to Lena's hair, but there were some instances where I felt like she could have done without 5 or so words.

I can't wait until the sequel comes out! 

Labels: , , , , , ,