Invincible Review

Invincible by SHERRILYN KENYON


(DESCRIPTION FROM GOODREADS)
Just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse...

Nick Gautier’s day just keeps getting better and better. Yeah, he survived the zombie attacks, only to wake up and find himself enslaved to a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul.

His new principal thinks he’s even more of a hoodlum than the last one, his coach is trying to recruit him to things he can’t even mention and the girl he’s not seeing, but is, has secrets that terrify him.

But more than that, he’s being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn’t learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them...







4 Stars


Nick's second book and Mrs Kenyon has yet to disappoint. I really don't have much to comment that isn't praise. The story was fun and lighthearted, which I think is taking me a while to understand. When I pick up a Sherrilyn Kenyon novel I expect it to be a gripping novel full of heart ache and true love.

Not the case with Nick, which is okay with me because he's only 14. He hasn't met the love of his life, and he's too young to have to go face to face with an epic evil. Once I realized that, I appreciate the story a lot more.

The only thing I want to criticize is Kenyon's use of the word "pwning." :p I love her hip and witty writing but if memory serves, the act of "pwning" did not come into play until 2004 or onwards. I know I said that I don't have too much to criticize, which I don't, but I just wish that one day Sherrilyn would write a character whose voice isn't dripping with sarcasm. I understand that Nick's personality has already been defined, but new characters such as Bubba, Mark, Kody and Caleb should not all have to be smart asses. I would LOVE to see a character that is sincere.

Those really are small things that don't interrupt the reading process, but they are just small things that I noticed.

I loved all of the twists and turns that the novel brought and I loved seeing young Nick's interactions with characters like Aimee, Wren and Remi. Seeing everyone from Nick's eye was both fun and exciting.

The story was interesting, it was not the main focus of the novel but it was still an interesting journey. Also, I love that Kenyon can write characters with so many dimensions, that's one of the reasons why I am in LOVE with (almost) everything she writes. She knows how to make her audience feel for her characters whether it's Cherise Gautier or the mysterious Ambrose.

I recommend this novel for ALL Kenyon fans or anyone who just wants a fun novel to read. 

Labels: , , , , , ,