Before I Fall Review




Before I Fall by LAUREN OLIVER


What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?


Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing (goodreads).


Review:

My first five star and Lauren Oliver DEFINITELY deserves it. This is the most impressive debut novel I've seen in a very long time. It has everything: a page-turning plot, character development, and a love story that you're rooting for until the very end. I honestly have nothing negative to say about this book, just praise, praise and more praise!

Sam Kingston is one of the most popular girls at her high school. She has a tight knit of best friends, she gets invited to all of the best parties and she also has the most drool worthy boyfriend- Rob Cokram. Sam is also a mean girl, a bitch. She flirts with teachers, blackmails teachers, cuts classes, and mocks the underclassmen. She's a bitch if you will. Even though she's done all of these terrible things, she asks you not to judge that.

Screw that, I judged the out hell out of her. Samantha is not likable and I loved that about her. The reason why I was quick to grab this book is because I wanted a character that I could not relate too, I wanted someone that I would hate. But page after page I started to feel more for Samantha: I started to pity  her. And even though I couldn't relate to her, I started cheering for her.  

Another aspect that I completely loved about this novel is that even the secondary characters have so much depth and Oliver takes the time to spell out their background to the audience. Not a single character a flat, they all had motives, emotions, and a distinctive personality.

Like Delirium, this novel made me think. Sure I wasn't the mean girl in high school, or the victim of a mean girl but I would remember random flashes on my high school career and I was surprised by how on point Lauren was when it came to a teenage girls thinking. 

It was so believable. 

The ending was a bit melodramatic but I'm not even mad, it did not destroy the other 469 pages of excellence. 

So overall this was an excellent book, and I know I'm a bit late on the bandwagon but everyone who hasn't read it needs to go out and buy this novel. Lauren Oliver will being doing great things in the Young Adult world!


Labels: , , , , , ,