My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) Reivew

My Soul to Take by RACHEL VINCENT


She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next (goodreads).




Review: 


Kaylee Cauvanaugh is just a regular high school Junior. She has a best friend that she loves, she has a crush on the hottest boy at school and she knows when someone will die. Kaylee's life is turned upside down when a bunch of girls from her high school starting dropping dead and she may be the only one who can save the next intended victim. 

I was not expecting this book to go down the urban fantasy road. I expected something along the lines of The Body Finder where an everyday girl learns that she has a special talent and has to solve a bunch of murders while keeping others in the dark to her involvement. Not with this novel; it's full of rich mythology and paranormal characters. 

And I loved it! I enjoyed Kaylee's perspective and her narrative. She's a typical high school girl with typical high school actions. All of her actions and emotions felt real and I enjoyed hearing the story from her perspective, especially when it involved Nash. 

I was taken aback by how much I enjoyed their relationship; I usually enjoy relationships that take time to build, but I was rooting for Nash and Kaylee to hook up from page 1 and I loved every interaction they had throughout the novel. 

Lastly the plot was enticing. I wanted to know more about each character that popped up and I was dying to know who was behind the mystery deaths. The novel kept my full attention and I was surprised by how short it was (another hundred pages please Rachel!) but I am ecstatic to read the rest of this series and learn more about the new creatures that are sure to pop up in Rachel's world!

Labels: , , , , ,