Review: Glitch


In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.
When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.
As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.
In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy (goodreads).

1/2
Review based on ARC. Thanks Netgalley. 
Review: 

Glitch has a very interesting premise but its execution falls flat.

In a Dystopian World, Zoe is in trouble. She glitches-has flashes of emotion when  no one is supposed to. Emotions are seen as a weakness and they have been done away with. She learns that with having thoughts and emotions, she has also unlocked another ability, and she is not the only person in their compound with these abilities. It becomes a race to the truth as Zoe tries to find out who her real friends are, and what these powers might mean.

Like I said earlier, what caught my eye was the thought of a world with no emotions. The plot was pretty solid, albeit the pacing was a little slow. It's interesting because while I thought that the overall pacing was slow, the book's opening was a bit rushed. Readers are immediately introduced with Zoe's dilemma and have to play catch up to piece the rest together. I will admit that I did not predict the twist so I liked that, and the book's cliffhanger made me wonder what could possibly happen next.

The characters were a piece of work and not in a good way. I found Zoe distant and hard to relate too. I also found her love interest, Adrien, annoying. The author's creative new terminology "crackin" just did not do it for me. Actually, I don't think there was a single character that I liked. Some characters I thought were downright cruel while others were too naive. The love triangle was also completely unnecessary as its obvious who Zoel's choice is.

The writing was told from Zoe's point of view which I did not find engaging in the least. This book was sadly book-down-able due to Zoe's voice and her interactions with the other characters. I'm sorry to say that thsi book was not for me, if it was told from the perspective of a different narrator, I think that I would enjoy it more.


Labels: , ,