Review: Feed by Mira Grant



The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will get out, even if it kills them (goodreads).






2014. Zombie apocalypse. Prepare yourselves. 

Feed was my first zombie book and I'm so happy that I chose this one to introduce me to the zombie genre. I adore zombie films (Diary of the Dead is probably my favorite Romero film) but I never considered reading about zombies. 

The story follows three bloggers, one blogger, Buffy, focuses on the creative outlet of the zombie apocalypse (writing poetry and sonnets), Shaun, our main character's brother, focuses on the thrill of the zombie apocalypse (like poking zombies with sticks) and George, our main character, focuses on bringing the news to the people. They are elected to travel with a presidential candidate and learn a lot more than they expected about the zombie epidemic  The story is told at a steady pace, there isn't too much action, instead Grant teases the reader with a seemingly normal scene, then BOOM, zombies. You honestly never know when the expect an attack which keeps the reader on the edge of his seat while reading. 

The characters are all so unique and real. There are snippets the each blogger's entry so the reader gets a personal look into the character's thinking and how living in a zombie infested world has affected them. The main character, George is extremely intelligent. I've highlighted some of her blog entries on my nook because they were so thought provoking and spoke for mankind. One thing I want to comment on is the relationship between Shaun and George is a bit...odd. Given their childhood, I understand that they are all that they know and trust, sleeping in the same bed at the of 18 is a bit peculiar. I 

The writing was top notch. Like I said, Grant's creativity knows no bounds which is perfect for a zombie apocalypse story. She creates a connection with each of her characters and knows how to write some heart breaking moments. 

I adored this book and I can't wait to see where Grants takes us in the second book! 



Labels: , , ,