Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer




Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future (goodreads).



 1/2

A year ago, I scoffed at the idea of reading a book based on Sailor Moon and Cinderella and featured a cyborg heroine. Now I understand. Now I want more. 

Marissa Meyer delivers a beautiful tale that honors that classic Cinderella while adding some of her own spunk and charm. Cinder takes the time necessary to develop the main character and its world. The plot carries itself with its continuous teasing of information. Just when you think you know where the plot is going, Meyer adds something new or expands on an idea. 

Cinder as a character is what makes this novel so deserving of its praise. She's tough and has a heart of gold. She isn't naive though, and she isn't willing to take anyone's guff, not even a prince's. Speaking of the prince, Prince Kai is just a wonderful male lead. I don't know what I found so attractive about him, but he is just the sweetest and up right guy in the world. I lived for the snippets in the book where the book follows his every day life. 

Regarding the world, I appreciated that Meyer decided to make this book in Beijing. Most YA books take place in America so it's always nice to be swept away to another continent. I'm curious to learn more about the Moon as well, I would love to see that as a developed world. 

The writing is told through Cinder's perspective which is why I adored this book. Like I said earlier, Cinder is a well developed character and I loved her sass. 

I count the days until Scarlet comes out!


Labels: , , ,