Review: MILA 2.0


Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.
Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past—that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.
Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.
Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity-style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel (goodreads).


ARC copy provided! <3 

Mila is just an ordinary girl. She likes horses, she has a shady best friend and she can survive being thrown full-force into a ravine. No big. 

To be quite honest, I had a hard time getting into this book when I first cracked it open. It felt like the run of the mill girl-finds-out-that-she's-different-from-everyone-else-and-there-are-people-who-want-to-use-her. But this book has a lot more heart and a lot less action, which I am a sucker for. This book really picked up after Mila finds out her true origins and has to fight for her own life. It was un-put-downable and definitely had me emotionally invested until the end. Sadly I couldn't give this book 5 stars simply because of the ending. I'm not too sure I know or like where this story is headed.

I really liked Mila as a character; in the beginning she was a bit of a pushover because she was surrounded by such strong personalities (ie mean girls) but once the realization of not being human kind of dawned on her. She became very introspective and just very aware of everything around her, I liked what she had to say and I liked how she put everything into perspective. Every reaction she had lined up to what you would expect from a teenage android (regardless of how rare those are). I could have done without the attempted love story because I feel like MILA 2.0 should be about a girl trying to find the meaning of her artificial life, about a girl who is looking for answers, not about a girl who will continuously be distracted by some boy as she's fighting off unknown military agents. 

The story was told from Mila's point of view which I think made me so emotionally invested in the story. Driza writes Mila as such a complex character and does a fabulous job delivering her distress and distraught. I found Mila to fascinating even when she came across weak. 

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed this video and I'm curious (and admittedly a bit hesitant) to read the sequel! 



Labels: , , ,