Monday, September 15, 2014

Bookish Discussion: Bookstore Confessions


I like going to bookstores, I like being surrounded by books, bookish accessories and people who love to talk about books. Today I want to share with you some of my 

Bookstore Confessions

Image from Tinhouse.com


1. I don't actually SHOP at Barnes and Noble (the physical store). I either sit at the cafe and drink Starbucks-ish beverages while browsing books on my nook OR I scan the barcodes of books that I'm interested in to buy on Amazon or at HPB. 

2. I hate when other people are in the Young Adult section with me! Even though I'm only 26, I feel weird when I'm browsing shelves with a 13 year old. This is probably why I do a lot of online shopping. 

3. I have never been to an actual books signing/Discussion. I've met a few authors at conventions and that was great,  but I've never gone to a place that highlighted one or a few)specific authors. I really want to, but the bookstore that usually has bookish events is about a half an hour driving distant and I lack a car. 

4. Some people can sit at bookstores and read, but I physically CANNOT. I can't concentrate with all the hustle and bustle around me, no matter how much I try. It's just not comfortable. ): 

5. I miss Borders. Like a lot. Nothing can compare to Borders! Half Price Books is a close second, but Borders was just a classic (and their loyalty program was the Bee's Knees). They got ALL of my money. Like all of it (I was a kid and I didn't see anything wrong with spending $100 on manga like every other week. Being an adult sucks). 

6. I feel really sad about leaving a bookstore empty-handed. Sometimes I pick up something random (like a bookmark or SOMETHING) so I feel like the trip wasn't wasted. 



Do you have any bookstore confessions? Can you relate, or am I just crazy? Comment below!

12 comments:

  1. Oh god, this is basically me. I also do not actually buy books at B&N. It's too expensive to buy them in the actual store! I take pictures and look them up when I go home. And I don't feel THAT weird browsing the Young Adult section, but yeah... I'm 26 too and it can be a little awkward at times. And Borders was the first bookstore I went to as, like, an adult all by myself. There was one directly across the street from my apartment when I was in college. Such a shame it closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hubs and I were there yesterday (which inspired today's post) and the entire time we just kept wondering "how the hell are they still in business with these prices?" And that loyalty program does NOT seem worth it. >.>

      I still remember the good ol days at Borders. I would take my mom's car and be there for when it opened at 9AM. I don't know why I was so obsessed with being their at opening, but I was.

      Thanks for dropping by Jesse! :)

      Delete
  2. We don't have B&N or Borders in Canada so I can't really relate to #1 or #5. I used to read in bookstores, but now I prefer to be stretched out on my couch at home, and I hear ya about the empty-handed thing because it drives me bananas too. I feel like a failure as a bookworm when I leave without purchasing something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is a major chain in Canada? My sister in law is currently living in Canada on a work visa and we're supposed to visit her before her visa expires at the end of the year. Of course while I'm up there I'll want to buy books! ^^

      Yes! Someone understands! One does not simply walk out of a bookstore without buying anything!

      Delete
  3. I love browsing my local B&N. I usually pick up a coffee or cookie at the Starbucks or gifts in the stationary dept. instead of a book though.

    I rearrange the books all the time. It drives me crazy when it's messy!
    lol

    I also feel compelled to hop in on conversations in the YA section when people don't know what book to look for or the name of an author etc. I restrain myself - because that's obnoxious - but just barely.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha I clean up at B&N as well! If a book it out of place or it doesn't look visually attractive I fix it. Mostly because the covers are so beautiful that I think EVERYONE should see them!

      And I need to be more like you Karen! I've always imagined giving recommendations to people in the YA section but I'm crazy shy. So instead, I just watch and see what books they pick out! :)

      Delete
  4. I feel weird browsing the YA section with actual teenagers too, haha! And yes it feels wrong to leave a bookstore empty handed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'm not alone! We can be awkward together Belle!

      Delete
  5. While I can't compare to any of these, because I do shop for books online and instore, don't mind standing next to a 13 year old (which I will most likely start having a conversation with), and I can read in a book store, cafe or library. I think you're hilarious! (:

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's bump into each other at a bookstore so we can talk books! I appreciate people who can start a conversation, I'm way too shy and too much of an introvert to make human contact int stores!

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I don't think I've ever left a book store empty-handed!! I would feel weird like it's impossible I actually don't find anything I'm interested in. But, anyway, I'm like you doing a lot of online shopping...on Amazon hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude good for you for always buying SOMETHING. I feel so disappointed in myself when there isn't anything I want. I feel like I'm doing something wrong! XD

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving a message! Don't forget to link me to your blog so I can return the favor!