Book Review: Atlantis Rising

 Title: Atlantis Rising
Author: Gloria Craw
Genre: Young Adult // Romance // Magic  
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher/Book Tour


I am different. I have always been different, but no one can know or my life will be in danger. So I hide in plain sight, wearing drab clothes and thick glasses and trying to be invisible. I’m so good at hiding, no one has ever noticed me. Until Ian…the mysterious and oh-so-cute boy I know I need to avoid.
Now I have been seen. And more terrifying still, I am wanted—by those who would protect me and those who would destroy everything and everyone I love. But if they’re all terrified about who I am, wait until they see what I can do… (goodreads)


High school girl with magical powers? Check! Ultimate baddie? Check? Hot boyfriend and snarky best friend? Check! Engaging plot and expert story telling? Not so much....



Plot: Alison is a Dewling, a mystical race of creatures that have control over thought. I know the title has the word Atlantis in it, but don't be fooled. They are not sirens or mermaids...just magical humans. We are introduced to two warring factions and of course our brave protagnoist is the only Dewling who can save her kind. 

I requested this book because I thought it would be about mermaids. It's not. But I kept reading, and then reading led to skimming. The plot was very basic and lack creativity. I don't know why, but at times this reading experience felt very familiar to my Twilight reading experience (which wasn't positive). 

Characters: Alison is your basic Mary Sue. She is different so her only response to this is to hide herself in plain sight. She wears unattractive styles, avoids all eye contact, and is very curt to anyone who wants to be her friend. This is until she meets Ian and his cousin Brandy. After some events, Alison starts to basically live with Ian and his family and comes to learn more and more about her people. I felt all of the interactions to be very juvenile and unoriginal. Brandy played her part as the OMG-WHY-DO-YOU-DRESS-LIKE-THAT immediate bestie, and Ian was the perfect love interest. It all fell flat for me and I didn't enjoy any of the characters. Even the bad guy was bland and a cardboard cutout of other evil masterminds. 

World Building: These Dewlings are hiding in plain sight, but I found their explanation of the world they live in to be very shallow. 

Short N Sweet: Atlantis Rising is a mediocre read hiding behind a pretty cover. 




Labels: , , , ,