Book Review: Maybe Someday

Title: Maybe Someday
Author: Colleeen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: March 18, 2014
Genre: New Adult // Romance // Contemporary 
Format: eBook
Source: Purchased (Amazon)


At twenty-two years old, Sydney has a great life: She's in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter's cheating on her--and she is left trying to decide what to do next.
Sydney becomes captivated by Ridge, her mysterious neighbor. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there's something about Sydney that Ridge can't ignore, either. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one... (goodreads)


On paper, this sounds like your average new adult romance, and it would have been, if it weren't for Ridge. 

Plot: Maybe Someday had my attention from the first page - when Sydney is punching her bestie/roomie in the face for sleeping with her boyfriend. FOR THREE YEARS. Yeah, she needed a good punching. This leads her to temporarily bunk with the hot musician next door. I usually don't like stories that feature music as a prominent element, because I usually don't fall for the broody musician types (even though my husband is a guitarist...oops). I liked how music was woven into the story line and actually meant something to our main characters. 

Characters: Like I said earlier, Ridge adds a certain uniqueness to Maybe Someday and for the most part, I liked him. His personality was reflected in his interactions with his roommates as well and I loved the carefree fun environment that they had created in their home. Sydney; however, started strong and then started to deteriorate as a character in my eyes. In the beginning she was angry and hurt as she had every right to be. As the story went on, I realized that she cried at the drop of a hat. I understand empathizing with people, but she took that to a whole new level. It got to the point that I started rolling my eyes every time she started showing a bit of emotion because I knew that the floodgates would be opening soon. 

World Building:Maybe Someday has a sit-com feel to me because most of the story line takes place in Ridge's apartment. The action mostly follows the roommates so we don't see interaction with other people at the school or in the town. As for diversity, I was happy with the direction that Colleen and taken, but with most new adult contemporary novels, there could be more. 

Short N Sweet: Maybe Someday broke my heart at times as well annoyed me at other times. I appreciate Colleen Hoover's approach to Ridge and Sydney's love story though. 



Labels: , , , ,