Book Review: Tangled

 Title: Tangled  (Tangled #1)
Author: Emma Chase
Publisher: Gallery Books
Publication Date:  August 2, 2013
Genre: Romance // Contemporary // Humor // New Adult
Format: Audiobook
Source: Purchased (Audible)


Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? 
He’ll tell you he has the flu.
But we all know that’s not really true.
Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating. 
Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life? 
Can Drew Evans win at love? 
Tangled is not your mother’s romance novel. It is an outrageous, passionate, witty narrative about a man who knows a lot about women…just not as much as he thinks he knows. As he tells his story, Drew learns the one thing he never wanted in life, is the only thing he can’t live without (goodreads).


I did not expect to laugh that hard at a romance novel! Equal parts heart and humor, Tangled knocked my socks off!


Plot: Drew is that guy who knows he is God's gift to women, and he takes advantage of that. When he meets Katherine, he goes to his playbook that has never failed him, except Katherine is engaged and doesn't seem phased by Drew's good looks and charms. What follows that initial encounter is the story of a man with the bad case of the "flu." What I loved about Tangled was that it read like a romantic comedy, complete with Drew's' analysis of the situation with plenty of foreshadow. Tangled was so fun and sexy that I tried to calculate how much sleep I needed so that I could keep listening well into the night (the answer is six. I need six hours of sleep). 

Characters: It's so hard to hate Drew. He's such a womanizer 


but he is also HILARIOUS. Drew's blunt honesty regarding the interaction between men and women made me both roll my eyes and snort publicly. Like all good romantic leads, there is so much more to Drew than his need to bed every woman he makes eye contact and I loved unravelling Drew's character. 

Katherine was nice, but as this was predominately Drew's story, I didn't feel the same connection to Katherine as I had Drew. The secondary characters added to the dynamic of the characters and they really made Tangled shine. If I were in a book, I would definitely not hesitate to jump into this one for the sitcom feel of it all. 

World  Building: I've said before, but it's extremely difficult to judge the world of a contemporary novel. The characters were fleshed out well that they felt real and thus gave substance to the world. In terms of diversity, Tangled gets an F. 

Audiobook Performance: Oh Sebastian York, you are my ultimate favorite male narrator. He is Drew and no one can tell me otherwise. Sebastian's voice is so deep and seductive, but surprisingly his delivery of the female lines were done quite well also. As I understand, the next  book is told through Katherine's eyes, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up Sebastian's voice. 

Short N Sweet: Hilarious and sexy, Tangled is a must read for anyone who enjoys a good romantic comedy!

Labels: , , , , ,