Book Review: Fairest

Title: Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Young Adult // Fairytale Retellings
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: January 27, 2015
Format: Physical
Source: Purchased


In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.
Mirror, mirror on the wall,Who is the fairest of them all?
Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 
Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series (goodreads)


One thing's for sure, I can't wait to get my hands on Winter. 

Plot: When I first heard that this was coming out, I was afraid. I was afraid that Meyer was going to write Levana as a sympathetic character, and I was prepared to excuse Leavana's actions. Luckily, I did feel sympathetic towards Leavana at a point (her childhood was really messed up guys),  but nothing ever excused her actions. Fairest covers Leavana's teenage years until about her late twenties/early thirties (a few years before Cinder happens) and it really does a fabulous job outlining Levana's life and adding those little Easter Eggs that allow you to make connections between Cinder and Fairest. 

Characters: I'm going to say it. Cinder should be happy that she ended up on Earth because her mom was a bitch! Actually Levana's family is royally messed up, it was like watching a bad car accident that you can't look away from. Levana didn't stand a chance. 

Along with Levana's royal family, Fairest highlights some familiar characters from the rest of the series, namely Cinder, Winter, and Jacin. I can already tell that I'm going to fall HARD to Winter and Jacin. I ship them, I ship them so hard. 

World Building: This was the first book that gives us an extensive look at Luna and I want more. It's such a unique world compared to Earth and Meyer does an excellent job of highlight the country's strengths and weaknesses. I also feel like Fairest has properly prepared me for Winter as it gives a lot of history and expands on Lunar gifts and shells. I adore Meyer's creativity and I'm almost sad that we'll be saying goodbye to these colorful worlds so soon. 

Short N Sweet: If you like the series, you need to read Fairest. Period. 





Labels: , , , , , ,