Book Review: Twisted

Title: Twisted (Tangled #2)
Author: Emma Chase
Genre: New Adult // Romance // Contemporary // Humor
Publisher: Gallery Books
Publication Date: March 25, 2015
Source: Purchased (Audible)
Format: Audiobook


There are two kinds of people in the world. The ones who look first, and the ones who leap. I’ve always been more of a looker. Cautious. A planner. That changed after I met Drew Evans. He was so persistent. So sure of himself – and of me.
But not all love stories end happily ever after. Did you think Drew and I were going to ride off into the sunset? Join the club. Now I have to make a choice, the most important of my life. Drew already made his –in fact, he tried to decide for the both of us. But you know that’s just not my style. So I came back to Greenville. Alone. Well, sort of alone....
What I've come to realize is that old habits die hard and sometimes you have to go back to where you began, before you can move ahead (goodreads).


Emma Chase brings back the fun and drama but from a different perspective, and it's just as good if not better than Tangled!



Plot: Two years after the actions of Tangled and Kate and Drew are still going hot and heavy, but whose surprised? Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and Kate guides us through the tale of how she came to leave Drew and move back to Greenville. Twisted focuses around one of the  biggest misunderstandings a couple could go through and there were plenty of times I wanted to shake both Drew and Kate from the sheer frustration of watching them awkwardly dance around each other. 

My biggest fear with this novel was Kate's narration. Drew had such a frank voice and I loved his "facts" about women, but Kate's voice pleasantly surprised me and was a more emotional  narrator than Drew was, so I couldn't help but feel drawn to her voice. 

Characters: In Tangled, we only see Kate through Drew's perspective so we know all about her physical (ahem) assets, so this was a great introduction to her mind. Although I missed Drew's witty and snarky voice, I found that Kate had just enough wit and snark to satisfy me. 

It was also interesting to see Kate's interactions with characters such as Dee and Billy who were only glimpses in Tangled. 

World Building: Kate makes the decision to move from bustling NYC back to her mom's in Greenville and it was Kate's introspection and reminiscing that made Greenville real to me.  

Audiobook Performance: Charlotte Penfield is Kate just like how Sebastian York is Drew. She delivers each line with an underlying snark that I associated with Kate but also came across at vulnerable. Charlotte has made it on my last as favorite female narrators! 

Short N Sweet: Twisted has its fair amount of differences and similarities, but the underlying heart and the amazing cast of characters are still present. 

Read my review of Tangled!


Labels: , , , , , , ,