[Discussion]Retellings You Want


I'm a major fairy tale fan. Hell, I'm a giant Disney fan and I have read almost all of the retellings I can get my hands on. The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, you name it, I've read it. 

Earlier this year, I was a bit hesitant to read The Wrath and the Dawn because I was not familiar with the tale of A Thousand and One Nights and didn't know what to expect. Naturally I adored it and was desperate for more desert folklore/ A Thousand and One Nights  retellings. 

Reading The Wrath and the Dawn made me realize that there are so many different folklores and myths that can be explored, because let's be honest: A new Cinderella retelling comes out every year. And while I love the staple Disney princess stories, I've come to realize they're not enough.


Here are some not-so-common retellings that I would love to read!

Bluebeard: I first came aware of the tale of Bluebeard in Kill Me Softly and I was fascinated by the story. A pirate whose wives mysteriously vanish and his pretty young wife who just so happens to find their hanging corpses in one of her home's many rooms? I think that a lot could be done with this story and it's one of the top retellings that I want!

Thousandfurs: In high school, I decided that I wanted to know where most of my favorite Disney classics came from so I borrowed the complete collections of The Brothers Grimm. Besides being scarred for life, I found some fascinating tales that I didn't know existed. One that has stayed with me since then was Thousandfurs. A girl escapes a nasty future by running to the woods with nothing more than a cloak made from many different types of furs. Of course, there is also a prince and a ball. 

The Twelves Dancing Princesses: Did anyone ever watch HBO's Happily Ever After? If so, do your remember the 12 Dancing Princesses episode? Yeah, I was mildly obsessed with that episode and can still sing the songs from the episode from heart. It was touched on in Tear You Apart, but that wasn't enough for me!

Snow Queen: When the internet first got wind of Disney's Frozen I was super excited because I was somewhat familiar with the tale. A brother and sister duo going against an evil ice queen? Yes, please! Sure Frozen wasn't exactly a Snow Queen retelling, but it planted the seed and now I'm desperate to find a more accurate retelling. 

The Pied Piper:  I've always been a bit wary of this story, there is no happy ending to it! A man who seduces a bunch of kids from their bed with his magical lute? Now that I'm older, I can totally see this with a darker or paranormal element. SOMEONE MAKE IT HAPPEN. 


What are some fairytales/lores that you want to get more love? Share them below! Do you have a book recommendation for me? I love those too, so please share!


Labels: , , , , ,