Book Review: Slasher Girls and Monster Boys

 Title: Slasher Girls and Monster Boys
Author: Various
Genre: Horror //Thriller // Young Adult // Murder
Publisher: Dial Books
Publication Date: August 18, 2015
Format: Physical
Source: Borrowed (Library)


A host of the smartest young adult authors come together in this collection of scary stories and psychological thrillers curated by Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea’s April Genevieve Tucholke.
Each story draws from a classic tale or two—sometimes of the horror genre, sometimes not—to inspire something new and fresh and terrifying. There are no superficial scares here; these are stories that will make you think even as they keep you on the edge of your seat. From bloody horror to supernatural creatures to unsettling, all-too-possible realism, this collection has something for any reader looking for a thrill (goodreads).



Slasher Girls and Monster Boys was a GREAT anthology for horror buffs and scaredy cats alike. There is definitely something for everyone with short stories ranging from vengeful gods to the zombie apocalypse. I had a few favorites in this one and even forced my husband to read a story or two (and I was happy that he enjoyed them)!



The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Rem Suma
Not a favorite of mine, I think the birds just confused me more than anything. 

In the Forest Dark and Deep by Carrie Ryan
This one was clearly inspired by Alice and Wonderland which immediately made me a fan. I loved the unease I felt through this story and how it unearthed hidden monsters. 

Emmaline by Cat Winters
This one was beautiful, sad, and creepy. Oh and it's set in early 20th century France so what's there NOT to love? I definitely need to read more by Cat Winters. 

Verse Chorus Verse by Leigh Bardugo
I ADORED the creepy atmosphere of this one and wanted to love it, but I have no idea what the hell happened in this one. 

Hide and Seek by Megan Shepard
The idea of cheating death is a fascinating story. I really liked it, and it surprisingly had strong characters for just 40 pages. 

The Dark, Scary Parts and All by Danielle Paige
This one was more romance than horror which was a bit of a disappointment, but it was a take on one of my favorite myths so it has a special place in my heart. 

The Flicker, the Fingers, the Beat, the Sigh by April Genevieve Tucholke
This one, while not horror, has EXCELLENT delivery and was the reason why I bought Between the Devil and the Blue Sea. 

Fat Girl with a Knife by Jonathan Maberry
This one was your typical zombie novel, but with a pretty badass character. I loved the sense of urgency and how in control Dahlia was. 

Sleepless by Jay Kristoff

WINNER WINNER. I have read this one twice so far and I would read it a third time if I didn't have to return the book to the library. The pacing is perfect and the twist was PERFECT.I want this to be a series. I want more of this, all the time. Forever. 

M by Stefan Bachman
M was unique because it was the only detective novel. While the Great Reveal wasn't completely satisfying, I did enjoy the ending. 

The Girl without a Face by Marie Liu
Marie Liu can write creepy, that's for sure. I loved that this one revealed itself very slowly but still kept me guessing!

The Girl who Dreamed of Snow by McCormick Templeman
This is one of those "Not-Like-The-Other" stories, but I appreciated the creativity in this one! The Girl Who Dreamed of Snow has a more fantastic approach, which was interesting to see in a horror collection. 

Stitches by A.G Howard
I really enjoyed Stitches up until the end. This Frankenstein-eque story was creepy and bloody, but the twist left me deflated. 

On the I-5 by Kendare Blake

On the I-5 was another winner for me. I was a bit confused throughout the majority of this novel, but when it ended, everything just clicked. 

Short N Sweet: Slasher Girls and Monster Boys is full of winners and there is sure to be something for everyone. This is a strong anthology filled with very strong authors, and I'm most impressed by the ones who are diving into horror for the first time. 
 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,