Book Review: My Lady Jane

Title: My Lady Jane
Author: Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows
Genre: Young Adult | Retelling | Shifters | Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Format: e-ARC
Source: Publisher

For fans of The Princess Bride comes the comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey.
Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger—and caught up in an insidious plot to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that’s the least of Jane’s problems. She’s about to become Queen of England. Like that could go wrong (goodreads).



That got weird really fast.

Plot: You see that synopsis? It barely tells you anything. It doesn't tell you that there is magic. It doesn't tell you that it's about shape-shifters. And it doesn't prepare you for how over-the-top it is. I have never been able to get into shifters ever, so I knew that I knew that this book was going to be an uphill battle for me. I continually had hope for it because it was an easy read, but I just got more and more annoyed with how ridiculous it was.

My Lady Jane feels like Brodi, Cynthia, and Jodi got together for drinks after an author event and someone came up with this crazy idea and the other two were like, "yes, yes! MAKE IT SO" and more drinks were downed. Seriously, nothing could be taken seriously. There was tensions between shifters and non-shifters, Edward suspected that people are trying to kill him, and the narrators kept making jokes.

Characters: There isn't much I can say about the characters. Edward and Jane were both based on historical characters, with a twist of course, but from what I can see, they got the important parts right. The side characters were flimsy and uninteresting. We have two budding romances that only existed to make this a true Young Adult novel. The only interesting character I found was Mary, but even she wasn't fully fleshed out.

Worldbuilding: The worldbuilding was actually this book's strength. Beside sthe moments where the narrators broke the fourth wall and talked about slag or items that didn't exist yet, I could imagine a fantasical 16th century.

Short N Sweet: My Lady Jane was not for me, but if you're for humor and MTV's Marie Antoinette, you may enjoy it.

Labels: , , , , , ,