Book Review: The Mirror King

Title: The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen #1)
Author: Jodi Meadows
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy | Romance
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: April 5, 2016
Format: Physical
Source: Purchased

Wilhelmina has a hundred enemies.
HER FRIENDS HAVE TURNED. After her identity is revealed during the Inundation, Princess Wilhelmina is kept prisoner by the Indigo Kingdom, with the Ospreys lost somewhere in the devastated city. When the Ospreys’ leader emerges at the worst possible moment, leaving Wil’s biggest ally on his deathbed, she must become Black Knife to set things right. 
HER MAGIC IS UNCONTROLLABLE. Wil’s power is to animate, not to give true life, but in the wraithland she commanded a cloud of wraith mist to save herself, and later ordered it solid. Now there is a living boy made of wraith—destructive and deadly, and willing to do anything for her.
HER HEART IS TORN. Though she’s ready for her crown, declaring herself queen means war. Caught between what she wants and what is right, Wilhelmina realizes the throne might not even matter. Everyone thought the wraith was years off, but already it’s destroying Indigo Kingdom villages. If she can’t protect both kingdoms, soon there won’t be a land to rule (goodreads).

 

Jodi Meadows just wrote herself a perfect duology. 
Plot: When I read The Orphan Queen two years ago, I was in shock. It was a perfectly balanced book with complex characters and I wanted more. Lightning struck twice with Jodi Meadows because The Mirror King was almost better (or better, I'm still undecided) than its predecessor. The Mirror King picked right up after the earth-shattering cliffhanger of The Orphan Queen and I don't think I managed to stop holding my breath until the very last page. In The Orphan Queen, the biggest conflict was behind secret identities and the looming threat of the wraith. Surprisingly, The Mirror King was able to introduce additional conflict, in a very natural manner, to develop Wil's character. Meadows dug deeper into the world and the characters to create a masterpiece. I laughed, I cried, and I wanted to reread this book as soon as I finished. 

Characters: Meadows excelled in writing wondrously complex characters. No one was inherently evil, but everyone had a motive behind their actions. In The Mirror King, Wil was able to come into her own skin and learn what struggles came with power. In respect to keeping this review spoiler-free, I'll leave my analysis to this. 

Worldbuilding: The fantasy world of The Orphan Queen continued to impress and engage me. I loved learning about the history of the kingdoms and how magic users became feared and hated. While The Orphan Queen focused primarily on the Indigo Kingdom, I was happy to see The Mirror King visit other parts of Meadows' world. 

Short N Sweet: The Mirror King was the best conclusion I could possibly ask for, I encourage of fantasy lovers to start this duology. 

Labels: , , , , , ,