An Evening with Laini Taylor


It finally happened. Strange the Dreamer is out in the world. I haven't read it yet because I suck at reading the books I buy, but I was fortunate enough to hear Laini speak at a local event/signing.
On Monday, April 3, Laini Taylor graced Chicagoland with her presence. I had run into her at BEA in 2016 and found her to be an absolute delight, so I was excited to hear her speak in a formal setting. My chauffeur/husband and I arrived about 45 minutes early and the bookstore was still packed. The day of the event, I actually called the bookstore to confirm that the signing hadn't changed locations because I could imagine Laini Taylor drawing a large crowd. And sure enough, she did. I think Anderson's was expecting around 50 people but there were definitely over 60 attendees that night, I was lucky I got a seat!

Local author, Laura Ruby of Bone Gap, moderated the panel and it felt much like two long-time friends discussing their craft instead of a question-and-answer session. Most of the discussion focused on the writing process which I found fascinating. I know that I could never write a book, so I love hearing about the blood, sweat, and tears, that authors pour into their books.
Laini Taylor was such a delight to hear speak and so friendly. I didn't plan well and didn't bring any of my Daughter of Smoke and Bone books to be signed but that's fine, I'm sure there will be another opportunity to lug about my collection.  

Fun facts I learned from the event: 


Labels: , , , , , ,