Book Review: Death and Night




Title: Death and the Night (The Star-Touched Queen #0.5)
Author: Roshani Chokshi 
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy | Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: May 2, 2017
Source: Publisher
Format: eARC

Before The Star-Touched Queen there was only Death and Night.
He was Lord of Death, cursed never to love. She was Night incarnate, destined to stay alone. After a chance meeting, they wonder if, perhaps, they could be meant for more. But danger crouches in their paths, and the choices they make will set them on a journey that will span lifetimes (goodreads). 

Death and Night was full of romance and magic, I hope Chokshi returns to this world. 
Plot: Death and Night took place in another place at another time; it explored Amar and Maya's love story before the events of The Star-Touched Queen. I don't remember too much of The Star-Touched Queen, but Death and Night stood on its own as a solid romance. It was a lot longer than I expected and truth be told, I wouldn't mind a continuation of this love story. 

Characters: Death and Night was comprised of the characters from The Star-Touched Queen, some characters I remembered more than others, but they all had their personalities flourish on the pages of Death and Night. My biggest complaint in The Sar-Touched Queen was that Amar didn't have much explanation for his sudden obsession with Maya; I felt the opposite in Death and Night. Amar's character was well-developed and I sympathized with him time and time again. I almost wish this novella was released first, I think it would have enjoyed The Star-Touched Queen a bit more.

Worldbuilding: Death and Night and I got off to a rocky start. Night's being and her relationship to this world was murky at best. I struggled to understand where I was and get used to this world that I fell easily into with A Star-Touched Queen and A Crown of Wishes. After the fist 40 pages, I got the grove of Death and Night and couldn't put it down. 

Short N Sweet: Death and Night was a much-needed novella to help shape The Star-Touched Queen's epic love story.  




Labels: , , , , , , ,