Book Review: Chainbreaker

Title: Chainbreaker (Timekeeper #2)
Author: Tara Sim
Genre: Young Adult | Historical Fantasy | LGBTQiA
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Publication Date: January 2, 2018
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher

Clock mechanic Danny Hart knows he's being watched. But by whom, or what, remains a mystery. To make matters worse, clock towers have begun falling in India, though time hasn't Stopped yet. He'd hoped after reuniting with his father and exploring his relationship with Colton, he'd have some time to settle into his new life. Instead, he's asked to investigate the attacks.
After inspecting some of the fallen Indian towers, he realizes the British occupation may be sparking more than just attacks. And as Danny and Colton unravel more secrets about their past, they find themselves on a dark and dangerous path--one from which they may never return (goodreads).


Not as memorable as Timekeeper, but includes some interesting backstory. 
Plot: Walking into Chainbreaker, I wasn't as enthusiastic as I had wanted to be. I think that this was because I thought Timekeeper felt like a self-contained novel. It took me awhile to get into this book and I never felt deeply connected to the mystery of various clock towers falling across India. The last third of the book dropped some major bombshells that I applauded and I'm curious about the future of Danny's world and the various gods. 

Characters: As is common in middle books, our love interests were separated for a large chunk of the novel. While I usually hate that route, I liked that this separation allowed Colton time to discover his strength and his history. I loved Colton's chapters a lot more than I did Danny's, actually I liked everyone's storyline more than Danny's. I would have preferred that this novel primarily follow Daphne because I enjoyed seeing her navigate her Indian culture and learn more about the British invasion. 

Worldbuilding: Sim re-invented her world by elaborating the mythology of each religious system and how the old gods influenced each society's interpretation of time. Danny learned more about Indian gods and I'm interested to see how each Sim ties each belief together in the third book. 

Short N Sweet: I would have preferred if Timekeeper were a standalone, but I appreciated the new risks that Chainbreaker took. 



Labels: , , , , , ,