Book Review: Prince in Disguise

Title: Prince in Disguise 
Author: Stephanie Kate Strohm
Genre: Young Adult | Contemporary | Romance
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: December 19, 2017

Source: Library
Format: Physical

Life is real enough for Dylan—especially as the ordinary younger sister of Dusty, former Miss Mississippi and the most perfect, popular girl in Tupelo. But when Dusty wins the hand of the handsome Scottish laird-to-be Ronan on the TRC television network’s crown jewel, Prince in Disguise, Dylan has to face a different kind of reality: reality TV.
As the camera crew whisks them off to Scotland to film the lead-up to the wedding, camera-shy Dylan is front and center as Dusty’s maid of honor. The producers are full of surprises—including old family secrets, long-lost relatives, and a hostile future mother-in-law who thinks Dusty and Dylan’s family isn’t good enough for her only son. At least there’s Jamie, an adorably bookish groomsman who might just be the perfect antidote to all Dylan’s stress . . . if she just can keep TRC from turning her into the next reality show sensation (goodreads).


It's official - I can't do Young Adult contemporary. 
Plot: I originally had no interest in Prince in Disguise because I don't read contemporary YA (if you couldn't tell from my blog). I grabbed this one because of all the glowing reviews and I am trash for reality TV. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a point to Prince in Disguise. I liked the first fifty or so pages as Strohm set the stage and clearly outlined the differences between Dylan and her older sister Dusty. Once Dylan and her family arrived in Scotland for a whirlwind wedding, I got super bored and considered DNFing it a few times (but I don't know how to DNF so here we are). I'm sure a lot of contemporary romance readers will find this adorable and love it, I'm just not the audience. 

Characters: The characters were definitely the strongest features to Prince in Disguise. There was a lot of witty writing and unforgettable characters, but it wasn't enough for me. The banter between Jamie and Dylan was especially entertaining and it was easy to root for them. However, just like with the plot, I needed more to stay invested. 

Worldbuilding: Prince in Disguise was very much a Christmas/Hallmark movie type book. It took place in a beautiful, old castle in Scotland during the winter - tell me that isn't just darling? I would have cared more for physical descriptions of the castle, but I thoroughly enjoyed how Strohm played the language barrier between the Americans and Scots.  

Short N Sweet: Prince in Disguise was cute, but what was the point? But then again I'm not YA contemporary romance reader so don't take my word for it!


Labels: , , , , ,