Changes and Making Moves: April at a Glance

Oh man, where do I even start? 



Well, let's start with the news I've been sitting on for a few weeks. In late April, I put in my notice at 

the job I've had for about four years. I know it doesn't sound like a long time, but maybe in my millennial mind, it sounds like a lifetime. I started off as a wee intern when I was getting my Master's degree and currently hold a manager position. This job has allowed me to travel internationally (and domestic) and meet some incredible young people. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to quit until I broke down crying in my boss's office, but it was a necessary step. My heart wasn't in it anymore and I started dreading having to go to work. So that chapter of my life will be closing in a little less than two weeks and I'm stupid excited for my next chapter.
What's that? You want to hear about this next chapter in my professional life? I'M GOING TO WORK FOR THE AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION!!!!!! Guys, guys, I am sooo excited and I've been super nervous to mention it to anyone because I'm paranoid and superstitious. But yep, I applied in mid-April and will have my first day on May 29. That also means that I'll be working ALA Midwinter and ALA Annual. And the coolest part? ALA is located four blocks from my current job so my commute doesn't change a ton! YAYS ALL AROUND. I'll probably have more to say about this in my May update, but I am so pumped to start working with librarians and coordinating resources. Librarians hit me up, I'm excited to collaborate! 
Alright, now that the most exciting news is out, how do I continue this update, everything seems to pale in comparison. I attended C2E2 and had a blast like always. I saw Kristen Simmons, bugged her about her next book (!!!!) and saw a baby lynx! Because that's what you do when you go to comic book conventions, hang out at the kid's section and learn about exotic animals.

I also had a date night with two of my best friends which was fun. We're working to hang out once a month and so far so good. The terrible news is that I found my first grey hair when hanging out with them. I'm still having a moment about that. IT WAS SOOO LONG. 

Penguin Randomhouse also had an event at my local library where they highlighted their upcoming adult titles and since I'm trying to read more adult titles in life, I found it to be super helpful. Here's hoping I actually read them and don't just make empty promises. 


My blogging suffered because of my aforementioned career change. I was nervous about the interview, nervous post-interview, and then nervous after they gave me an offer and I had to officially put in my notice. I managed to keep up with my own weekly posts, but I was shit when it came to replying to comments and visiting blogs. Sorry about that guys. I luckily have a week off in between jobs coming up so I plan on making up for it.



My reading suffered this month as well. I wanted to read 13 books and barely made it to 10.
Favorite read of the month was The Trouble with Love by Lauren Layne. 
My least favorite read of the month was Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young.  




 This month will be either a hit or miss for me. In early May, I can see myself being completely useless in terms of reading and blogging (I'm officially two books behind in my GR challenge) because I have a lot of lose ends to wrap up at my current job. Luckily, I'll have a week in between jobs that I'll use to get myself back on track. This month is also Matt's 32nd birthday so we gotta figure out what t do. It's also our 4-year anniversary this month so we'll probably try to squeeze in a quick weekend getaway. We'll see how this all works out. 

I think setting a goal of 10 books is doable for this month, be strong Amber!

Anything interesting happen to you in April?
What was your least favorite read of April?
What was our favorite read of April? 
How many books did you read?
Anything fun happening this May (BESIDES AWESOME WEATHER)? 

Labels: , , ,