Doors Closing and Doors Opening: May at a Glance


May was a bittersweet month. 


As most of you know, I put in my notice for my job of three years in late May to work with ALA. That was a whirlwind of emotions because I was leaving a job I felt comfortable at for a completely different industry, nothing completely tied to my degrees (quelle surprise). May was emotional too because I had to say goodbye to a lot of coworkers I considered really good friends. They even through me a Disney themed farewell party which had me in tears.

May 17th was my 4-year wedding anniversary with Matthew and we celebrated by having delicious Vietnamese food and going to a cute historical town about an hour outside of Chicago. It was a lot of fun and totally our speed so I'm sure we'll return.

Matt's 32nd birthday was May 25 so he got to celebrate the whole Memorial Day weekend. We went out to dinner a few times and had a BBQ with some of our friends. It was stupid hot that weekend (like almost 100-degrees) so it really felt like the height of summer.

And lastly, I had my first day at ALA in late May and boy, it's funny to see the extreme similarities and differences between my old job and this job. I think that's just the nonprofit life though! So far, I love it! I'm still trying to find my place and understand all of the lingo, but I am so ready to contribute to all of their great campaigns and library programming.

So yeah, I guess a lot happened in May. 


My ability to blog was all over the place in May. My old job kept trying to get as much out of me as they could in the three weeks I had remaining there so I was exhausted almost every night and didn't have the energy to blog, use socialize, or even read. That did a complete 180 when I had my final day and had one week of vacation before I started at ALA. I was so frickin productive; I completed my June bujo layout, I blogged two weeks ahead, and I read 7 books in 7 days. That will never happen again in my life!



My favorite book of the month was Before the Devil Breaks You (4.5 stars)
My least favorite books of the month were: From Twinkle With Love, Hangry, Pretending You're Mine, To Have and the Hold, Follow Me Back, and Sweet Black Waves (3 stars)



June is going to be another balancing month for me. I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of my new job and ALA is less than a month away (both 'yay' and 'omg'). I may be a little MIA so sorry in advance. 

I'll also be going to two book events (this week actually) and a few Chicago Fire matches (because duh). I'll be watching the World Cup with a broken heart and rooting for my favorite teams. 

My goal is to 12 books, I think I can do it!


Anything interesting happen to you in May? 
How many books did you read?
Have you read any of the books I read this month? 
What was your favorite read of the month? 
What was your least favorite read of the month? 
What do you have planned for June?

Labels: ,