Les Petites Revues [#2]


This week I bring some murder mystery with a side of strange fairytales.
Title: The Cheerleaders
Author: Kara Thomas
Publisher:  Delacorte Press
Rating: 4 stars

I loved Little Monsters and couldn't wait to return to the twisty-turny mind of Kara Thomas. I had the opportunity to review the audiobook and I'm so happy I did; Phoebe Strole, who was the narrator in Little Monsters, returned and brought this book to life for me. The Cheerleaders tackled a topic that I didn't expect to be covered in this type of book, and it made me uncomfortable, but an unnecessary uncomfortable. Like I have come to expect, there were some twists in The Cheerleaders, but I was expecting something a bit bigger. Nonetheless, I think it's a great book that will shock readers. 


Title: Campfire
Author: Shawn Sarles
Publisher: Jimmy Patterson Presents
Rating: 4 stars

Campfire was unexpected fun! Maddie, along with her friends and family, went camping as one last family 'hurrah' before teens started going off to college. In true camping fashion, the group gathered around the campfire and told spooky stories and I'm going to be honest, I thought that was hella corny. They were fun campfire stories but they kind of interrupted the overall story for me. And then I completely changed my mind when people started dying the way that was depicted in the aforementioned camp stories. I got major Scream and Harper's Island vibes from this book, so if you're a fan of that kind of horror - this is undoubtedly for you. Campfire had one of the best endings I've read in a YA horror I've ever read.


Title: Vassa in the Night
Author: Sarah Porter
Publisher: Tor Teen
Rating: 2 stars

I don't even know where to start with this book, I don't Sarah Porter's books are for me. Vassa in the night was well-written but the retelling itself was all over the place. This is a Russian fairytale that I'm not familiar with and it was hard to marry such brutal magic in Brooklyn. I think I read this book with a frown the entire time because I was so confused. There were swans, murderous convenience stores, and talking dolls. I can't say that I would recommend this.


Have you read any of the above?
What was the weirdest book you read?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,