Relaxing and Reading: July 2018 at a Glance


After all the hustle and bustle of June, I appreciated the peace and quiet of July!

July was my month of recovering from ALA and I think I finally did it. I was super sleepy the entire month and sleeping as late as 8 a.m. (I'm an early bird so that feels super late to me). July was also the end of the World Cup and I'msooo happy that my wee French babies won! It was a great World Cup and it's insane how far Croatia made it. It's weird to me that I don't have soccer to watch three times a day. Luckily, next June the Gold Cup is coming to Chicago so I'll get to shriek my little heart out there.  

The Fourth of July was a weird little holiday for me since it was a Wednesday. My auntie was supposed to host a cookout on that Wednesday but was too tired. Instead, Matt and I had our first picnic at a park near us and it was a lot of fun. Even though it was absurdly hot, it was good to layout and read. I hope to have at least one more picnic before summer ends. My lovely stubborn grandma couldn't accept the fact that we didn't celebrate Independence Day so she hosted a cookout that Saturday ("hosted" meaning that she made her kids cook while she watched).

I saw the musical Waitress twice in a week. I saw it once with old work friends then Matt got jealous so we went the following week. I love Sara Bareilles so I had to go see it. It was really fun and had a lot more sex than I was expecting. 


I was pretty consistent with blogging, I don't think I missed any posts which was great. My participated in #24in48 and got 21 hours in. I had to be a bit more active that weekend than I was expecting because my grandma was admitted to the hospital again so I had to go see her. Other than that, it was business as usual! 



Is this what happens when I'm not stressed out all the damn time? I can read 19 books in a month? GOOD GOD. 8 of those books were audiobooks which probably helped boost my numbers (on a related note, I'm looking for romance audiobooks). I also have to thank the #24in48 readathon, I think it helped me get into the groove of reading. I am 7 books ahead of my GR challenge. THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED IN MY LIFE. 

My favorite book of the month was The Kiss Quotient (4.5 stars). My least favorite books of the month were Social Creature, Tell Me No Lies, Vassa in the Night and The Raging Ones (2 stars).  


8 Anthologies Out in 2018 You Should Have on Your TBR [Rashika @ Xpresso Reads]
Top Six Books for Traveling [Chelcie @ Cornerfolds]

Are YA Cover Designs Ever an Improvement? [Jen @ Jen Ryland Reviews]
They're all Dead [Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books]
20 Upcoming Romance Books for the Romantic in Your Life [Nick @ Infinite Limits of Love]
I Will No Longer Let the GoodReads Challenge Pressure Me [Nick @ The Infinite Limits of Love]


I'm really hoping that August is as chill as July was. My family is planning a Family Day which should be fun because I only see them in pieces. I'll report back if it actually happens. I'm taking some vacation days from work this August, Matt and I are slowly planning our annual trip to Michigan for a chill weekend. I really hope it happens!

In terms of reading, I've already got two reviews scheduled for September so reviews are off to a good start. How long will it last? Only time will tell. 


How was your July? 
How many books did you read? 
What was your favorite book of the month? 
How is your TBR looking? 
Got anything you're looking forward to doing in August? 



Labels: , ,