Books to read to get you in the Halloween spirit


Halloween is my favorite holiday, you get tons of chocolate, get to dressed up, and of course, read all of the horror/mystery books that you can devour. If you're still trying to get into the spirit, I've got some book recommendations for you!

Give the Dark My Love by Beth Revis: This book made me all kinds of uncomfortable. If you want a book where a character goes extra dark, this one is for you!

The Dark Beneath the Ice by Amelinda Berube: If you loved the Paranormal Activity movies, you'll loveee The Dark Beneath the Ice. Demon possessions and a super sweet F/F romance!

Campfire by Shawn Sarles: This book read like a 90s flasher film. It reminded me a lot of Scream and those other campy (but gory) horror films. I'd especially recommend the audio. 


#Murdertrending by Gretchen McNeil: An island where state-endorsed serial killers murder convicts for the entertainment of the American people? I guess that's what happens when you elect a reality star as president. 

Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray: Honestly, the whole Diviners series is a creepy Halloween read. You've got murderous ghosts and extreme 1920s racism. A book that will both scare the daylights out of you and make you reflect on America's ugly history. 

Labyrinth Lost by Zoirada Cordova: If you need a break for all the creeps and scares, I highly recommend the Brooklyn Brujas series. Modern-day Latina witches? Yes, please!


Unsub by Meg Gardiner: If you're like me and you have a weird obsession with serial killers, you'll enjoy this one. Unsub and its sequel are both inspired by real-life cases in the United States and they are definite page-turners!

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan: Unspoken had a fairytale feel with tons of magic and also a dash or darkness. I'm so in love with this series and I need everyone to read it!

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas: If you think you can guess the ending to every YA mystery you read, you need to read this one. Little Monsters had the perfect setting with the craziest ending I've read in any books!


Here Lies Daniel Tate by Christin Terrill: I'm STILL processing the ending of this book, and I'll leave it at that. 

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McMaus: Who doesn't love a good high school story with a mysterious blackmailer. Come for the drama, stay for the ending!

In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters: That cover just screams Halloween! Interested in historical fiction with a medium and some tough imagery of war? Yep, this one is for you then. 


Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender: Possession stories are my absolute favorite and I loved the first two books! This one also gave me Paranormal Activity feels. 

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes: You ever watch Criminal Minds or Dexter and think "hm, this would be better if they were all teens." Well, Barnes heard you, and this series gets better and  better with each book!

Mary: The Summoning by Hillary Monahan: This book gave me actual nightmares. The imagery was terrifying and I'm sure I read this in one sitting (because I was too scared to put it down). 


You by Caroline Kepnes: This book gave me actual shivers and made me side-eye every man I walked past. You want an extra scare, try the audio.

And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich: What happens when your haunted house is actively trying to kill you? This book was soo weird and had some really messed up scenes. Surprisingly, I found the ending to be pretty emotional as well. So if you're looking for scares and tears, read this one. 

The Call by Peadar O'Guilin: You will not find sexy fae boys in this book, in fact, this one may make you reconsider how much you love the fae. This book was pretty horrific but I could not look away!


What's your Halloween costume this year? 
Have you read any of the above? What did you think? 
What's your favorite Halloween read? 
Do you prefer scary Halloween reads or fun Halloween reads?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,