Les Petites Revues [#6]


It's time for some mini reviews, and this week we're tackling some ARCS from my never-ending ARC pile (help). I wanted to love these so much more, but nothing stood out.


Title: Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Rating: 3 stars

I read the Iron Fey series and fell head-over-heels in love with it but Shadow of the Fox didn't deliver. To me, Shadow of the Fox felt like I was reading an RPG video game. Each character had a specific archetype without much development. The ever-growing character party was sidelined by side quests, that while interesting, didn't seem to impact the overall mission. I wish I liked this one more, but I just couldn't connect with the characters so I probably won't be continuing this series.


Title: Broken Things
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 2 stars

Lauren Oliver books have typically been a hit-or-a-miss for me, but  I can't say 'no' to a murder mystery. Broken Things felt like Slenderman meets Pretty Little Liars, which was fine, but I once again struggled with the characters. Mia and Brynn were both deeply impacted by Summer's death, but both of their voices blended together for me and I often forgot their dynamics with Summer. The murder mystery was a pretty big shocker, one that I did not guess, but the many details surrounding the Lovelorn series and their fan fiction seemed unnecessary


Title: Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer #2)
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: 3 stars

I gave Strange the Dreamer 3.5 stars because while it was beautifully written, it was super slow. The pace didn't improve in Muse of Nightmares and it felt like not much happened for the majority of the book, just a lot of back and forth discussion. By the time the action and revelations picked up in Muse of Nightmares, it was a bit too late. Taylor's eloquent writing was the only reason this got 3 stars, but I was definitely disappointed in the conclusion (if it was a conclusion) to this series. 


Have you read these books? 
More importantly, have you finished all of your Octobers ARCs?

Labels: , , ,