Les Petites Revues [#8]


I think I'm really digging these mini reviews guys! This week, I bring you a not-so-YA fairytale, a summer cute opposites-attract romance, and a Christmas romance with not a lot of Christmas. 



Title: Damsel
Author: Elana Arnold
Genre: Adult | Fairytale
Rating: 3 Stars

I picked up an ARC of Damsel because of love fairytales and this feminist approach caught my attention. The writing reminded me of the Grimm fairytales which set the tone for this dark story. And in fashion of the Grimm fairytales that were more horror than Disney, Damsel was thought-provoking, uncomfortable, and weird. Arnold analyzed the role of women in classic fairytales and I was surprised by the amount of sexual assault that was in a book marketed to teens. Personally, I would not label this a YA book; I forget how old the characters were, but it read more like a dark fairytale. I think this book would be better received if it were marketed at Adult as well. I really hope the hardcover lists all of the content warnings, because there are a lot. 


Title: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Author: Christina Lauren
Genre: Adult | Contemporary | Romance
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I had heard so many great things about Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating and it lived up to all of the hype! Josh and Hazel was nothing short of adorable and I had a smile on my face the entire time. I love a good opposites-attract story and Josh and Hazel balanced each other out well and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them navigate their feelings for each other. If you're in the mood for a fun contemporary romance that will lift your spirits, you're going to want to pick this up ASAP! I highly recommend the audiobook as well!


Title: Her Festive Flirtation
Author: Therese Beharrie
Genre: Adult | Contemporary | Romance
Rating: 2 Stars

Ava and Noah were brought back together years after an awkward kiss for Ava's brother's Christmas wedding. Ava got my attention almost immediately because she was still coping with being left at the alter almost a year before. While I found Ava intriguing, I didn't feel anything for Ava and Noah as a couple. The setting was a welcomed treat; how often do you read a novel set in South Africa? I absolutely loved it, but thought that the Christmas aspect was more so in the background rather than being apart of the block. So it was the romance and the lack of Christmas that made Her Festive Flirtation forgettable for me.


Have you read any of the above? How did you like them? 
What are some of your favorite Christmas reads? 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,