Goodbye 2018




Today is the last day of 2018 and boy, it's felt like four years. Besides the craziness happening around the globe (which the U.S. is contributing a lot to...), I had a pretty good year. So join me as a wax nostalgic and try to decide which books I loved (and didn't love).


2018 was a year of change for me. I left my job and started at the ALA during its busiest times. There were some health issues and just trying to stay above water as the U.S. destroys itself (everything is fine). 
Read in 2018

2018 was the year of ARCs once again, I really need to do something about that. Generally, I read a lot of good books and I even SURPASSED my GoodReads goal of 140 books, whoo! I'm not reading that many books next year. 

Wow, was A Conjuring of Light really that long?? Also, I love how much love A Day in Life of Marlon Bundo is so highly related. Such a pure book. Below you'll find every single book I read in 2018. All 143 of them!



 Per usual, Young Adult fantasy was my go-to in 2018, but I did sneak in more adult romance and adult fantasy. Sometimes you need a palette cleanser. Now from that long list of books, which ones were my favorite?


Favorite 2018 Reads


10. The Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty 
9. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
8. Before The Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray


7. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
6. Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
5. Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody


 4. Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
3. Phoenix Unbound by Grace Draven
2. A Sorrow Fierce and Falling by Jessica Cluess

Drum roll please! My favorite book of 2018 was....


1. The Wicked King by Holly Black

Honestly, 2018 was a wonderful reading year for me. I had five 5-star reads (which is rare) and a lot of 4.5 star reads. 

Most Disappointing 2018 Reads

Hey, they can't all be winners can they. These are books that aren't terrible per se, but I had higher expectations for. That happens a lot to me.


To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
Sweet Black Waves by Kristina Perez


Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young
Mirage by Somaiya Daud
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik


#murdertrending by Gretchen McNeil
A Blade So Black by L.L. McKinney
Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa


The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory 
Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
Reign the Earth by A.C. Gaughen

Favorite 2018 Moments

I had some great moments this year, let's see what I can remember. 

10. Celebrated turning 30 with friends and loved ones
9. Traveled to Jordan
8. Celebrated my 4th anniversary
7. Attended the Joint Conference for Librarians of Color (JCLC)
6. Left a job I didn't love
5. Attended/Worked ALA Annual in New Orleans (and SURVIVED)
4. Started working at ALA
3. Listened to Michelle Obama speak (still crying)
2. Explored NOLA with friends
1. Watched my family expand (new baby cousins!)



 2018 Goals

I'm trash at goal-setting and meeting goals but I keep making goals every year. Let's see how 2018 worked. 

Use Bullet Journal more. Yasssssssss. I did it! Even though creating monthly layouts was daunting, I stuck to my bujo and it was sooo good to have everything written out. I've started laying out my 2019 bujo so this is just a thing I do now. 

Be more creative with my organization. This is releated to using my bujo so I think I met this. 

Return to bookstagram. Yep, not at all. I think I'm over the idea of bookstagram you guys, I'm slowly returning my instagram to just being highlight from my life. Some will probably be bookish, but I don't have the time or energy to be a bookstagrammer. Plus I've got friends and coworkers who follow me on that platform sooo....

Read 135 books. My goal was actually 140 books and I did it.l Holla. 

Meet more bloggers. Originally, I wanted to arrange a Chicago meet-up so I'll call this a fail? I did meet some blogger friends, but I'm still trash at meeting Chicagoland bloggers. NEXT YEAR. 

Request ARCs responsibly. Sooo I stopped requesting as many ARCs I think, but that hasn't stopped me from being grabby hands at conferences and and at work. I call this a fail, I'm really going to try this in 2019. 

Crosspost more. I was actually pretty good at this until November happened. Let's say I met this goal. 

How was your 2018? What were some of your favorite moments? 
How do you refrain yourself from requesting/taking ARCs (I need help)? 
What were some of your favorite reads? 
What were some of your disappointing reads? 
What resources do you use for your bujo? 

Labels: , , , ,