Les Petites Revues [#10]




Title: Two Can Keep a Secret
Author: Karen M. McManus
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4 stars

Two Can Keep a Secret proves that McManus knows how to deliver a twisty mystery and I will be gobbling up every book she comes out with. Two Can Keep a Secret isn't as WTF-worthy as One of Us is Lying, but it's pretty up there. Two Can Keep a Secret followed Ellery and her twin as they were sent to her mother's hometown while their mother was in rehab. There, they learned more about their aunt who disappeared years ago and the other girls who had disappeared since then. When I say this one is windy, I mean it. McManus would make you think that you knew what was happening, then pull the rug from under your feet. For all of us mystery readers who have a tendency of guessing the ending, you may be able to guess what happened, but you'll still feel shocked. Let me just say, that last line was enough to make me say, "whoa". 


Title: White Stag (Permafrost #1)
Author: Kara Barbieri
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Source: Publisher
Rating: 2 stars

Sigh, White Stag sounded good on paper but it was not my kind of YA Fantasy. I'm a fan of broody, dark fantasy that is dedicated to its world. White Stag felt very YA-lite, it was full of humor (even though there ere some pretty dark situations) and usage of U.S. American terms like "cooties". From the beginning, I knew it wasn't meant for me and I just never got into the world. There were goblins who seemed to be more like fae than goblins and not a lot of descriptions regarding their powers and physical appearances. The plot itself was very fast-paced, but maybe a bit too fast-paced for me. The ending had a twist that I found interesting, but that was the best thing to happen to the book in my opinion. So if you're a fan of books like Royal Bastards or anything by Amanda Hocking, you may enjoy this one more. 



Have you read any of the below? 
What are your thoughts? 
January releases are you looking forward to?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,