Fantasy romance books that'll make your heart pitter-patter


It's no surprise that I love fantasy, nor is it a surprise that I like my books with romance as well. So of course I love me some fantasy romance. To help kick off Valentine's Day, I've listed some of my favorite fantasy romances. 

For me a fantasy romance has romance as one of its main driving forces. Sure there can be a war brewing, but the main characters must be struggling to understand their feelings for each other as well. 




Song of the Current: Markos and Caro are one of my top OTPs. They came from different worlds and they fought something crazy, but in the end, they needed each other and were great support to each other. 

A Crown of Wishes: A journey to find treasure and find love along the way. How can you not fall in love with this opposites-attract story?

The Falconer: Brooding fae boy and amazing banter? Check, check! I typically like my fantasy dark and this series beautifully coupled beautiful, wicked fantasy with intense emotion. 


The Disappearances: The Disappearances was a bit different from the fantasy I usually gravitate to. This historical fantasy was whimsical and clever, I couldn't help but fall in love with every part of this story, and the romance was downright charming!

The Last Namsara: This is one of my favorite books of my favorite fantasy books of all time, the storytelling is addictive and has the most precious romance with a girl who hates herself and a boy who would lay his life down for her. 

The Winner's Curse: Ah, the book I fell in love with based on the synopsis alone. This was one of the complicated romances I've had the privilege to read, and I would happily reread!


A Court of Mist and Fury: The book that took us all by surprise. The first two books were such stark contrasts of each other and I always find myself rereading passages of both to see the little clues Maas left. A Court of Mist and Fury is an absolute favorite for me because it taught self-love, trust, and all-encompassing love. 

Angelfall: Angelfall was a book I wouldn't have read if it weren't for the blogosphere and I'm so happy it received the hype it so rightfully deserved. A tortuous post-apocalyptic world and a war between humanity and angels? Throw in "star-crossed lovers" and I am in love! 

The Orphan Queen: This YA Fantasy had some of the greatest banter I've read with a thrilling magical conflict. If you want a romance (and moreover, a story) to make your heart feel full, you'll want to add this to your TBR!


Song of Blood and Stone: This was another book that took me by surprise because it wasn't the high fantasy we're used to. Instead, this is set in an alternative 1920s world filled with magic and cute enemy boys. There was a bit of insta-love that I had to get over, but in the end I was rooting for Jasminda and Jack. 

Phoenix Unbound: I enjoy my fantasy's intense and my romance complicated; Phoenix Unbound delivered in all of that. This enemies-to-lovers tale was dark but ultimately found two people who came together under hardship and a desire to help their people. I can't wait for the next book to dive into the world and fall in love with other star-crossed lovers. 

A Curse so Dark and Lonely: And finally we get to the novel that inspired this blog post. A Curse So Dark and Lonely had fantastic character growth and growth as a couple. Anyone who wants to read a Beauty and the Beast retelling that truly pulls at your heartstrings will need to devour this book. 


What's your favorite romance genre? 
Have you read any of the above? 
What are some of your favorite fantasy romance stories? 

Labels: ,