Les Petites Revues [#16]


This week we have two completely different books by the same author, a coming-of-age tale, and MURDER. 
Title: Eon (Eon #1)
Author: Alison Goodman
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Purchased

This series is super different from the Lady Helen series which surprised me. Eon was a young girl with a disability who was masquerading as a boy so that she could commune with dragons. From the premise already you know Eon is a story of secrets, betrayal, and danger. I enjoyed this East Asian inspired story because of its look at court life and Goodman's inclusion of a variety of voices, including a trans character. Despite  being over 500 pages, I flipped through the pages rather quickly and I feel like Eona will be even better than Eon because we have the set up, now it's time for the action!


Title: The Dark Days Deceit (Lady Helen #3)
Author: Alison Goodman
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Source: Purchased

WOW; that was some ending. Alison Goodman's research into this series and her dedication to her characters made this series to special and dear to me. The Dark Days Deceit was, in my humble opinion, the best book in the series with a rightly explosive ending. The tension and chemistry between Carlston and Helen was at its breaking point and I loved every tense moment of it. Besides the two of them, there were some sweet moments and heart-breaking moments that this cast of characters experienced. The showdown with the Grand Deceiver was just as chaotic as I had anticipated with and ending that made me smile. If you have the opportunity, listen to the audiobook; you won't be disappointed!

 Title: Squad
Author: Mariah MacCarthy
Rating: 3 Stars
Source: Publisher

I don't know what I was expecting when I requested this book; I think I thought this would be a darker book, but instead, we got your classic coming-to-age story. I'm happy I read it, but it's not something I would have picked up on my own. The story followed Jenna who was quickly dropped by her cheerleading group and best friend and had to find herself again. There was a trans romance which I enjoyed, but it was also a by-the-numbers story. Jenna was a "popular" girl so she found herself in a hobby that could be categorized as the opposite of popular/trending (LARPing). It's a quick read because it's dialogue heavy. If coming-of-age stories are your jam, I recommend it. Note that there are many instances where character's use a trans character's dead name. 

Title: You Owe Me a Murder
Author: Eileen Cook
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Work

This was a twisty fun read! When Kim sat in the airport, she didn't expect to meet someone who would convince her to murder a stranger, but yet that's what happened in Vancouver. In the vein of Strangers on a Train (which I've never seen so I'm assuming), Kim had to come to terms that her ex-boyfriend was murdered by a girl whose name she didn't know, and decide how to proceed with the murder she owes the mystery girl. The whole book took place in one week and was easy to fly through. I recommend this for those who have enjoyed Cook's earlier works and like a fast-paced thriller. 


Have you read any of the above? 
Have you seen Strangers on a Train (should I watch it)?
What's a twisty thriller that you've enjoyed recently? 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,