Les Petites Revues [#19]


Aw, spring is in the air (finally, let's take this day-to-day) so that means that it's time for LOVE.


Title: Fumbled (Playbook #2)
Author: Alexa Martin
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4 Stars

Alexa Martin's Playbook series is sexy and fun and Fumbled was even better than the first installment. Poppy was a single mother and just trying to make ends meet when she ran into an old flame. Fumbled packed more of an emotional punch because Poppy and TK had to find their rhythm after a decade a part and work out their family dynamic. This book kept me up past my bedtime and couldn't stop happy sighing over Poppy and TK's interactions. In the end, I thought that Fumbled was missing some of the drama that I had come to expect. Fumbled was snapshots into Poppy and TK's life without ever having a real climax, but I still enjoyed being privvy to those snapshots. The ending opened for future novels and I can't wait to see the other characters Martin will explore in this series. 


Title: Meet Cute
Author: Helena Hunting
Source: Publisher
Rating: 2 Stars

Well, I did not enjoy that ride. In law school, Kailyn ran into her former childhood celebrity crush, Daxton, and the two became friendly rivals until the Great Betrayal. The 'Meet Cute' part of this story was all of ten pages before we were catapulted to present day with all drama you would expect. One of my problems with this story from the start was that Kailyn took her childhood crush a bit too seriously. As the age of 30, she still had Daxton memorabilia (such as a mug that she used at work) and a ringtone that came from the TV show. As the story progressed, I felt that Meet Cute was missing the emotional element, especially since we were dealing with death and trying to fill a new familial role. I never felt that attraction between Daxton and Kailyn and the villain of the story was very dramatic and cartoony. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. 

Title: Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals #3.5)
Author: Alyssa Cole
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4 Stars

The Reluctant Royals series always manages to put a smile on my face. Can't Escape Love featured Portia's sister Reggie, the twin who always got it right. Can't Escape Love allowed me to get a more complete picture of Reggie and understand her complicated sisterly relationship with Portia. Reggie also became one of my favorite characters because she was a force to be reckoned with. She made a living helping other nerdy girls and she refused to be treated any differently because she was differently abled. Love interest Gus was incredibly pure and I loved how he and Reggie came together and how their friendship blurred the lines between 'like' and 'really like'. I believe Gus was on the spectrum so it was also interesting to see the relationship unfold through his eyes. I highly recommend this to anyone who's fallen in love with the Reluctant Royals series, especially if you're a fan of anime or geek culture in general.






Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,