Les Petites Revues [#29]


Summer is almost over and I'm somehow still on top of ARCs? Today, we chat about a fun American soap opera and a YA fantasy that was missing something. 

Title: Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl #1)
Author: Mara Rutherford
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Crown of Coral and Pearl told the story of two sisters who were taught that their beauty was of the utmost importance. Due to a long history, their tiny village had to send their most beautiful woman to be sent as the mainland crown prince's bride. What should have been an interesting story of betrayal and plot twists lost itself in the instalove between two characters and I found the story to be lacking. The plot was pretty straight forward which lessened my overall enjoyment. I probably won't continue the series, but I don't regret reading it. 

Title: American Royals (American Royals #1)
Author: Katharine McGee
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4 Stars

I've never read The Princess Diaries, but I anticipate that American Royals is the love child between Gossip Girl and The Princess Diaries. American Royals was a fun take on American history with all the drama and love triangles you could expect. What I liked most about American Royals was that it didn't try to erase the atrocities of American past (and present). It made mention of hate groups, inequalities, and other aspects that prove that the United States is still far from being the utopia it thinks it is. Outside of the creative world, the characters were fun and I enjoyed their motivations. I definitely can't wait to continue this series (and the inevitable CW TV show). 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,