Amber's Favorite Reads in 2019


There is only one day left in December and I think it's safe to say that I'm not going to finish another book before Wednesday (but maybe future Amber will surprise us, who knows). So I think it's safe enough to look back and reflect on some damn good books. 


Despite the fact that I didn't read that many books compared to previous years (116), I read a lot of good books which I'm happy for. GoodReads says my average rating was 3.5 stars which I think is very on brand for me. I only had two 5-star reads but that's because I am extremely picky when it comes to what I consider a perfect book. For starters, it has to keep me up and make me cry. If you don't do those things, you're bumped to a 4.5. That's probably why I had so many 4.5 reads this year, there were so many almost perfect books that I'm so happy I had the chance to read. 

BUT before we get to the list, let's see how my year was in reading.



2019 was, unsurprisingly, dominated by YA, specifically YA fantasy but I did get burned out on YA fantasy. I read a lot more contemporary romance and barely any thrillers which is surprising for me. I think this was the first year I started incorporating more adult fantasy and I hope to read more in 2020. 

Now without further ado, my favorite books of the year!


The Poppy War was gruesome but was everything I didn't know I needed. I cried, I stayed up until 2 a.m. reading all of the gory parts and would report right back to Matt about all of the craziness that happened. I still need to finish The Dragon Republic, I put it aside because I wasn't ready to devour a 600-page book. Now I think I am. 

I wonder what my reading will look like in 2020. I can definitely foresee a lot more romance and probably less YA fantasy, but more adult fantasy. 


Read any of my favorites? 
What was your favorite book of the year (if you can choose)?
What genres were your go-to this year?

Labels: , , ,