Les Petites Revues [#36]


Like I said in my monthly wrap up, I'm in some weird reading slump in which nothing impresses me and it takes me forever and a day to finish a book. This week, I've got too books that were very much 'meh' for me. 
Title: The Kingmaker (All the King's Men  Duet#1)
Author: Kennedy Ryan
Rating: 3 Stars
Source: Purchased

I had high hopes for this book after falling in love with Ryan's Hoops series. I enjoyed some aspects of The Kingmaker but did not fall for Maxim and Lennix together. Lennix was a force to be reckoned with and Ryan wrote about her culture and passion with respect and research. I was more lukewarm towards Maxim because he toed the alpha-male line (similar to Jared in  Block Shot) and that's just not an archetype I can stomach. I would have liked The Kingmaker if it didn't have its multiple time jumps. The 15-year jump took me out of their romance, especially when they kept referring to their first meeting when Lennix was 17. This book was more of a disappointment than anything, I don't think I care enough to continue the duology. 


Title: Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising #1)
Author: Bec McMaster
Rating: 3 Stars
Source: Purchased

I picked this one up because I was curious for a fantasy romance and when have I ever turned down a fae romance? Promise of Darkness had an interesting premise with a plot twist I saw coming a mile away, and yet was the only reason I kept reading. The banter and chemistry between Thiago and Iskvien was cringe-worthy and corny. Their banter shoved sexual tension in the dialogue when the two had just met so their progression never felt authentic. Promise of Darkness also borrows some themes from Maas' Night Court. Thiago's inner circle closely mirrored Rhys' warrior friends and Thiago himself had some Rhysand qualities. I enjoyed the premise of this one, but the execution left me desiring something a bit different.


Read any of the above? 
What are some fantasy romances you've been enjoying lately? 
How do you break out of a reading slump? 

Labels: , , , , , , ,