[Discussion] Would This Make a Good Audiobook?


I am fortunate enough to work in a mostly quiet workspace where I can listen to audiobooks/podcasts/music while I work. Because of this, I have tried to up my audiobook game and have joined the 2015 Audiobook Challenge as well. 

I've learned that some audiobooks work better for more than others. 

The Good: I've learned that romance novels work very well for me because to be honest, they don't require that much attention. I can zone out for five minutes and not be that lost. I devoured Tangled in a day and I found that it made my commute that much more enjoyable and entertaining. I find that contemporaries work best for me because it's a world I'm already familiar with, I'm just enjoying these fictional characters characters. 

In the Middle: Dystopias are a hit or a miss with me when it comes to keeping my attention in an audiobook. These wholly depend on the narrator and how well I'm able to connect with them. I loved Uninvited so much because of Rebecca's Gibel's ability to make characters her own. 

The Bad: Fantasy. I'm currently listening to An Ember in the Ashes and while the world building and storytelling are genius, I just cannot connect.
The problem with fantasy books? 

Too much world building! I think that fantasy books should be read 1) for the map and 2) to be able to read over passages the describe the people and the places. Right now I'm thrown in a world that I can't make heads or tails of with names that I can't spell. There have been so many times where I've heard someone's name and I have no idea who that person is. I love fantasy books and this would be a great time saver for me as fantasy books tend to be meatier, but I feel that I'm not getting the whole picture with an audiobook. 
 



What genre of books work best for you? Do you have a difficult time focusing on fantasy books like me? If not, I'd more than happily take some pointers! :)


Labels: , ,