Strong women writing their truths: An evening with Kim Liggett


One day before her novel released, Kim Liggett graced Chicago with her presence at Chicago's feminist bookstore, Women and Children First. The conversations were empowering, thoughtful, and extremely emotional. 
The Grace Year event caught me by surprise. I actually didn't know about it until I got bombarded with a handful of targeted ads on Instagram a week before. I'm so glad that I did get those targeted ads because this event was jam-packed with fabulous authors. Kim was accompanied with Libba Bray, Samira Ahmed, and Jasmine Warga. The evening was filled with tears and sharing experiencing regarding the sexism and racism. Here are some of the highlights from the night: 

So those were only a few highlights, but honestly I was just enjoying the stories that these women had to share and in awe of how vulnerable these ladies allowed themselves to be. This was without a doubt one of my favorite events that I've had the privilege of attending in a while.



Have you read Grace Year yet? What did you think? 
Have you read any books by the above authors? 
What is a book that you've read that has explored the patriarchy that you would recommend

Labels: , , , , , ,